10 Min Read To Know All About Bariatric Surgery
In this age, due to imbalanced lifestyle and eating habits, a large number of people are prone to obesity and many life-threatening diseases. But it’s possible to deal with these with a right attitude and a right approach. Today there are many health centres and hospitals that provide complete assistance for weight loss with their Advanced Bariatric Procedures.
CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF WEIGHT GAIN
|Emotional factors||High blood pressure|
|Sedentary lifestyle||Cancer heart disease|
|Smoking / Alcoholism||Diabetes|
SO WHAT IS A WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
It is of following types:-
1. Gastric Band : In this, an inflated band is implanted to squeeze the stomach into two sections. The sections still connects by a small port. This slows down the emptying of upper pouch. After this procedure patient can eat about ½ to 1 cup of food and feels satisfied.
Pros: - Simpler than other weight loss surgeries.
- Fast recovering period
- Reversible in nature
Cons: - Less effective procedure than others as one regains weight over the years easily.
- Vomiting after eating too much too hastily.
- Complications with band can happen as it might move out of its place, gets loose or leak.
2. Sleeve Gastronomy : Here 75% of stomach is removed leaving behind a tube or sleeve of stomach that connects to the intestine.
Pros: - For highly obesed ones, it’s a simpler operation and low- risk way for weight loss.
- Here intestine remains unaffected therefore no affect on nutrients absorption.
Cons: - This process is irreversible in nature.
- New procedure therefore risks are still not known completely.
- Side-effects includes infection, leaking of the sleeve or tube.
3. Gastric Bypass Surgery : Here stomach is divided into two parts, sealing off the upper section from the lower.The Surgeon then connects the upper stomach directly to the lower section of the small intestine thus creating a shortcutforfood ,bypassing part of the stomach and the small intestine. Skipping these parts of the digestive tract means that thebody absorbs less calories.
Pros: - Rapid weight loss. About 50% of the weight sheds in first 6 months.
- Helps significantly with diabetes, high B.P, high cholesterol, arthritis, sleepapnea.
- It has good long term results.
Cons: - Body does not get enough nutrients. One has to take nutrients for rest of his life.
- Dumping Syndrome – In this food gets dumped quickly from stomach to intestine without getting properly digested.
Symptoms – Nausea, pain, weakness, diarrhoea.
- Irreversible procedure.
- Complicated and riskier than others.
- Hernias are synonymous with this surgery.
4. Vagal Blocade or V Bloc : Here a remote controlled pacemaker- like device is placed under the rib cage that sends regular electrical impulses to the vagus nerve which signals brain that the stomach is full.
Pros: - least invasive method
- Procedural time takes 1 ½ to 2 hour.
- Low rate of serious complications.
Cons: - side effects include infection, pain at the implantation site or surgical complications.
5. Gastric balloon : here a deflated balloon is placed in stomach through mouth.
Once placed ,it is then filled with saline solution that provides fullness thereby ceasing hunger.
Pros: - No surgery involved.
- Temporary procedure as balloon sits for only 6 months.
Cons: - Vomiting , stomach ache, nausea for a few days after it is placed.
- FDA in 2017 reported 5 deaths caused due to it.
MOST EFFECTIVE SURGERY AMONG ALL
It can’t be said which surgery is the most effective among all. As it depends on the health and body type of the person involved. It is better to take opinion of the surgeon who has expertise in the following, before undergoing the procedure. This surely can save from any complication.
It is claimed that 4 to 5 hours after the bariatric surgery, patient is on the move and gets a discharge from the hospital on the very third day.
WHO SHOULD UNDERGO BARIATRIC SURGERY?
Following is the criteria to undergo bariatric procedure:
1. BMI ≥ 40.
2. BMI ≥ 35 accompanied with one or more obesity-related diseases such as: type II diabetes (T2DM), hypertension, sleep apnea and other respiratory disorders, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, lipid abnormalities, gastrointestinal disorders, or heart disease.
3. Inability to achieve a healthy weight loss even after rigorous weight loss efforts.
SURGICAL COST IN INDIA
Unlike U.S, where the average cost of bariatric surgery is 10 Lakhs- 18 Lakhs, in India it is for 2.5 Lakhs- 5 Lakhs which is why it is 50-70% cost effective in India over U.S andU.K.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery: around 4.25 - 4.75 Lakhs ($6500)
- Sleeve Gastronomy: 3.75 – 4.25 lakhs (average $5800)
Bariatric procedure does not enjoy insurance cover as it obesity is mostly lifestyle related. Additionally, IRDA considers it under the group of cosmetic surgeries since the purpose to get this done is almost always cosmetic.
BEST BARIATRIC HOSPITALS AND SURGEONS
• It was founded in 1959 by BL Kapur.
• It comprises of 17 advanced modular operating theatres and 650 patient rooms.
• The medical centre is associated with some of the best medical faculty in India, who provide treatment for 40 plus specialities.
Dr Deep Goel( MBBS DNB Fellowship - Bariatric Surgery)
• He has completed his MBBS from Kasturba Medical College; and DNB from the prestigious Sir Ganga Ram Hospital
• He has an experience of over 25 years and is a well-known surgeon in the field of Bariatric & Laparoscopic Surgery in India.
• He has done his training from the best medical centres around the globe including Mount Sinai Medical School (New York),Bourdex(France), etc.
• It is a multi-speciality hospital accredited by NABH and NABL.
• The hospital has also been awarded with Express Healthcare Award for providing excellent healthcare services
• The have also been recognized as the first global green Hospital for installing a Green OT. (Accreditation)
Dr Pradeep Chowbey (MBBS, MS)
• (MBBS MS MNAMS - Bariatric Surgery) ,
• Dr Pradeep Chowbey has been performing Lap Surgery for almost 35 years now.
• He has completed approximately 77000 complicated laparoscopic procedures.
• He has garnered several awards for his contribution to Indian medical sector.